• The arrangements for traffic management will be similar to those in previous years. Please see Site Map below for details of road closure and one-way operation.
• Generally, driving standards are exemplary, but a small minority of entrants give cause for concern, especially when leaving the site.
• Driving in a manner which brings Classics on the Common into disrepute, as happened after recent shows, will not be tolerated. Hertfordshire Constabulary have new measures to combat this behaviour.
• Drivers judged to have driven recklessly, at excessive speeds or ‘burned rubber’ are banned from participating in future events.
• Without your cooperation the future of the show could be under threat.
• Please pass this message to friends and fellow enthusiasts.
• There’s no entry charge for spectators and you don’t need a ticket. But Rotary members and their helpers will welcome your voluntary donation in aid of our charities. The vehicle owners make a donation for the privilege of displaying their vehicle.
• Classics on the Common is a community event for all to enjoy.
• If you can, use public transport to travel to the show.
• Spectators are making increasing use of First Capital Connect’s [operator is changing] regular train services.
• See Site Map below for location of station, bus stops and route numbers.
• Traffic in and around Harpenden gets extremely busy during Classics on the Common. As the Common is within easy walking distance of Harpenden railway station, visitors travelling by car from the south should consider parking in St Albans, those from the north at Luton Parkway, and completing their journey to Harpenden by train. See Site Map below for location of railway station.
• If ground conditions are satisfactory, Harpenden Town Council allows spectators to park their cars on Harpenden Rovers’ field. Please note that both entry and exit are in Cravells Road (see Site Map below). You’ll need to walk across Walkers Road to reach the Main Common so do cross with care.
• A final decision on ground conditions will be made on the morning of the show, too late for us to update the website. If the ground is unsuitable for parking, signs will direct you to the town and station car parks. Normal fees will apply.
• After 6pm you can park at Rothamsted Research. This will be signed once that parking area is open. This concession by Rothamsted Research is much appreciated so please do NOT attempt to park there before 6pm.
• As there is limited disabled parking at the entrance to the Main Common we recommend that disabled visitors use the disabled parking bays in the town centre from where there is level access to the Common
• If any disabled visitor needs advance information or assistance please email and we’ll endeavour to help or advise.
SPECTATOR PARKING – GENERAL OBSERVATIONS
• Please don’t park on any of the Common areas, especially on the triangle by Arden Grove and adjacent to the Harpenden Arms public house. This area is designated for CLASSIC VEHICLES ONLY and will be used once the Main Common is full.
• Unauthorised parking on pavements, hard standing or adjacent grassed areas may be penalised by traffic wardens.
• If you’re a local resident, please walk to the show. It will undoubtedly be faster. Otherwise, please use the town car parks.
• Please be mindful of residents who live near the Common. Park with courtesy and, if at all possible, not in residential streets.
• Temporary toilets will be available on the Common. Most public houses in the area have kindly agreed that entrants and spectators can use their toilet facilities. We gratefully acknowledge this gesture.
• Harpenden Town Council has asked us to point out that, under local byelaws, BBQs are NOT permitted on the Common. This byelaw applies equally to full barbeques and disposable foil trays. Your cooperation is much appreciated.
VOLUNTEER AS A MARSHAL
• Fancy helping with the show by being a marshal? We’d be grateful for your help for perhaps just one hour. Follow this email link firstname.lastname@example.org and simply provide your name and contact phone numbers – day and evening. We’ll then contact you in the run-up to the show.
EMAIL YOUR VIEWS
• If you enjoy, or have enjoyed, Classics on the Common please email your views to Harpenden Town Council and the organisers on email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
• Equally, if you have suggestions for improving the show, please contact us at email@example.com